The historic houses at the Deering Estate come alive with holiday accents and festive decorations that will transport visitors to the glamor and elegance of the Gilded Age. Glittering holiday décor will be featured in each room of the Deering Estate’s historic Mediterranean-revival Stone House (1922) and pioneer-era Richmond Cottage (1896). The holiday decorating program is a beloved annual tradition and features some of South Florida’s top interior designers, led by Deering Estate Designer in Residence Alfredo Brito.
“The Gilded Age” is attributed to Mark Twain to describe the period of American history from the 1870s through the early 1900s. Many of Charles Deering’s contemporaries built their palatial American homes during this time. As well, several American holiday traditions became popularized in this period due to the influence of European art and culture in the United States.
Each room is thoughtfully decorated to illustrate the Old and New World influences of the Gilded Age and re-create a nostalgic holiday experience. Our invited designers will stimulate all your senses with the melodies of Tchaikovsky and the scents and the spices of the season that complement their intimate and grand designs.
A special thanks to the designers, volunteers and Miami-based Garden Club members who have donated their time and services for this year’s holiday decorating effort.
- Richmond Cottage and Stone House Library — Alfredo Brito, Alfredo Brito Interiors
- Richmond Cottage Kitchen — Alfredo Brito in collaboration with Williams-Sonoma, Gulfstream Park
- Deering Study — Fanny Mesa, Drapes by Fanny
- Mrs. Deering Bedroom — Rosalba Calvo, L’Excellence Designs
- Mr. Deering Bedroom — Roman Miguel Garcia, The Carpet Boutique
- Stone House Great Hall —100 Ladies of Deering
- Stone House second-floor landing and staircase — Pottery Barn, Miami Beach, in collaboration with Marina Bargouti
- Prohibition Wine Cellar — Andreina Chirinos and Fanny Mesa, Drapes by Fanny
- Richmond Cottage front porch — Anna Noriega, Aloré Event Firm
- Richmond Cottage back porch — Palmetto Bay Garden Club
- Stone House front porch and historic restroom — Pinecrest Garden Club
The Historic Holiday Décor is on display daily from November 26, 2021 through January 6, 2022, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Please note that the Deering Estate is closed on December 25. For more information on the holiday season at the Deering Estate, including the Holiday Evening Strolls on December 3 and 15, please visit deeringestate.org.
Celebrate Deering all year and gift a membership to family and friends! Deering Estate Foundation members enjoy year-round complimentary general admission to Deering Estate and more, including admission to the Deering Seafood Festival on April 10, 2022. For a limited time, a 10% discount on gift memberships is being offered with code: peaceandjoy. Discount ends on December 31, 2021.