You’re going to need both hands for this big, bad burger. We start with Traeger’s homemade chili recipe, and once that’s done, we ladle it over a juicy grilled cheeseburger, topping it all off with Fritos and red onions.
Prep Time: 20 Minutes; Cook Time: 2 Hours; Serves: 4 people
- 4 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 can chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, minced
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 whole jalapeño, diced
- 1 can (14.5 oz) diced or crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1/8 cup flour
- 1/2 tablespoon dark chili powder
- 1/2 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 whole lime, juiced
- 1 whole (1.55 oz) Hershey’s milk chocolate
- Traeger Beef Rub as needed
- 5 slices Cheddar cheese
- 5 whole hamburger buns
- 1 whole red onion, sliced
- 1 whole bag Fritos corn chips, for serving
- For the Beef Chili: Heat a large Dutch oven on the stove top over medium-high heat. Cook the ground beef until browned and cooked through.
- Add all chili ingredients, minus the chocolate and limes to the Dutch oven.
- When ready to cook, set the Traeger to 350° and preheat, lid closed for 15 minutes.
- Put the Dutch oven into the grill for 2 hours, stirring every hour. Remove Dutch oven from grill.
- Stir the lime juice and the chocolate into the chili. Set chili aside until ready to assemble the burgers.
- For the burgers: When ready to cook, set the grill temperature to 400° and preheat, lid closed for 15 minutes.
- Form into 5 equal patties and season both sides with Traeger Beef Rub.
- Place patties directly on the grill grate and cook for 4-5 minutes per side, flipping once.
- Top each burger with cheese and cook for 1 minute more to melt.
- Remove from the grill and let rest 1-2 minutes.
- To build burger, place the patty on the bottom bun, add a scoop of chili, Fritos, red onion and finish with the top bun. Enjoy!
Courtesy Traeger Kitchen, traeger.com/recipes