The best Thanksgiving turkey recipe calls for simple spices and primal wood-fired flavor. Traeger is your recipe for success.
Prep Time: 15 MINUTES
Cook Time: 4 HOURS
Effort: 3 out of 5
- 1/2 pound butter
- 6 clove garlic, minced
- 8 sprig fresh thyme
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon cracked black pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon kosher salt
- 20 pound (12 lb) whole turkey
- Set the grill temperature to 300̊F and preheat, lid closed, for 15 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine softened butter with minced garlic, thyme leaves, chopped rosemary, black pepper and kosher salt.
- Prep the turkey by separating the skin from the breast creating a pocket to stuff the butter-herb mixture in. Cover the entire breast with 1/4″ thickness of butter mixture. Season the whole turkey with kosher salt and black pepper. Optional: Stuff turkey cavity with Traditional Stuffing recipe.
- Place turkey on the grill and smoke for 3 to 4 hours. Check the internal temperature. The desired temperature is 175̊F in the thigh next to the bone, and 160̊F in the breast. Turkey will continue to cook once taken off grill to reach a final temperature of 165̊F in the breast.
- Let rest for 10 to 15 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
For this and more great recipes, please visit traeger.com/recipes
From the TRAEGER KITCHEN