Oral health is of vital importance for our dogs. Dental disease can cause secondary infections in the blood, a weakened immune system, susceptibility to disease and illness as well as tooth decay and loss. Human toothpaste is dangerous for dogs and contains ingredients that can make your dog ill, causing issues with their kidneys and liver. Toothpaste for dogs that you can buy at the pet store can be expensive and may contain questionable ingredients and chemical additives. When you make this homemade toothpaste it is healthy, safe herbal mixture that has plenty of health benefits and no junk or dangerous chemicals. Here is a list of the ingredients and the benefits they provide to promote dental health for your dog.
- Coconut Oil: Organic, unrefined, virgin coconut oil is a highly digestible healthy fat that improves absorption of the other ingredients, also acting as a base for the toothpaste recipe. Coconut oil is an antibacterial, antifungal antiseptic and is also a powerful deodorizer and can eliminate bad breath immediately.
- Turmeric: Turmeric is a natural, safe way to whiten teeth. It is also antimicrobial and antibacterial, and is a anti-inflammatory. Turmeric will also help prevent plaque build up.
- Parsley: Parsley acts as a mineral rich deodorizer that is also antibacterial. Parsley is also known to be an anti-inflammatory and has the right vitamin and mineral mix to promote dental health.
- Kelp: Kelp promotes plaque removal while supplying the mouth and body with chlorophyll and minerals. It is also antibacterial.
Dog Licking Toothpaste Recipe:
- 1 cup of organic, unrefined, virgin coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon hot water (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon of organic turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon of kelp
- 1/8 tablespoon of organic dried parsley flakes
- Place one cup of coconut oil in a mixing bowl and add one teaspoon of hot water, if needed, to make it soft and pliable.
- Add the turmeric, kelp and parsley flakes.
- Mix thoroughly, store in fridge between uses.
Use a very soft bristle toothbrush or your finger to brush your dog’s teeth. Rub the teeth gently and massage the gums lightly. Make sure the toothpaste is soft by leaving it out at room temperature before using. Never put in the microwave or cook in any way as that will kill the enzymes and nutrients.
For dogs that need intensive dental cleaning, you can use daily for a week then switch to every other day. For dogs that just need maintenance you can brush two or three times a week. Happy Brushing!