While spring is the season of new beginnings, it is also the season of more sunshine and as the weather heats up, spring also brings increased energy usage – especially as many of us continue to spend more time at home.
To help you save energy this spring, Florida Power & Light Company (FPL) is offering some simple tips.
- Check windows for air leaks: Check your windows for drafts. Re-caulking and using weather strips can help to keep the warm air outside.
- Leave incandescent bulbs behind: LED bulbs are 85% more efficient than incandescent bulbs and last 10 times longer.
- Try to block out the sun: Use thermal-backed drapes for your windows and sliding doors and keep them closed during the sunniest parts of the day to help keep your home cool.
- Always turn off your fan: Ceiling fans cool people – not rooms. Turn ceiling fans off when you leave a room. Leaving them on in an empty room can drive up energy costs.
- Never leave your A/C filter dirty: Be sure to change the filter and make a habit of doing so within the timeframe recommended for your model.
- Inspect the ceiling for duct leaks: If the ceiling is dirty around your A/C vents, that is a good indication of leaks in your ducts. Contact an A/C contractor to perform a duct test if that’s the case.
- Consolidate electronics with power strips: Easily turn off a group of electronics at once when they’re not in use by consolidating several plugs onto a power strip. This could save you up to $100 a year.
- Get energy savvy: Install a smart thermostat and control the temperature of your home from anywhere. When used appropriately, these can help a single-family home save about 3% of total energy costs.
Looking for more ways to save this spring? Check out FPL’s various energy saving programs, like our ceiling insulation and A/C rebates, no cost On Call program and free Energy Analyzer tool at fpl.com/save/programs.html.
Andre Sowerby-Thomas is FPL’s Home, Business and Energy Solutions expert and residential contributor to Watt’s Happening, a blog by FPL focused on helping residential and business customers become energy savings pros. For more than 15 years, Andre he has helped customers improve their energy efficiency and lower their home/business energy costs.