Beloved artisan ice cream company Salt & Straw has collaborated with Scholastic Inc. for its whimsical Rad Readers menu this summer. Starting, May 28, the Rad Readers menu brings “Scoops of Stories”, pulling inspiration from five books to bring the magic of reading to life with imaginative flavors. This menu hopes to encourage summer reading through the joys of ice cream, inspiring children to dive into a book while diving into a scoop. Salt & Straw’s Rad Readers menu will be available through July 1, online for nationwide shipping, at local scoop shops, including Wynwood and Coconut Grove, and for local delivery.
“Throughout the pandemic, education in America has completely shifted. One thing we feel that hasn’t changed is the transportive nature of reading a book, no matter where you are it brings excitement and wonder. At Salt & Straw, we have an infatuation with that word “wonder,” it has a magnetic draw that sucks you in and makes our customers want to learn more, dig deeper, taste greater when eating our ice cream,” says Tyler Malek, Head Ice Cream Maker & Co-Founder of Salt & Straw. “Our Rad Readers menu has given us the opportunity to work with some of the greatest children’s book authors in the world, and together, we channeled every whimsical, thoughtful, and taste-provoking page into five ice creams. Our hope is to inspire kids to do the same.”
“We are thrilled to work with Salt & Straw to create these flavors that celebrate the joy of reading. After a challenging year of remote and hybrid schooling, kids deserve to kick off summer with a wonderful assortment of books and ice cream!” says Erin Berger, SVP of Marketing at Scholastic.
SUMMER READING HAS NEVER BEEN SWEETER
Salt & Straw’s Tyler Malek collaborated with each author to bring the tales to life with unique flavor pairings. Embodying the spirit of wondrous adventure, Tyler and team have churned five dreamy flavors that offer an escape into a thrilling new journey.
- Goosebumps: Monster Blood is Back! (Goosebumps by R. L. Stine)
- Streaks of citrus-y, shiny green goo suspend hunks of deep red strawberry bark. If you hear strange gurgling noises coming from your pint… run for your life!
- “The green Goosebumps goo– MONSTER BLOOD– is back. Only, this time it’s a lot less scary. In fact, it’s delicious! I had so much fun with my friends at Salt & Straw scaring up this ice cream flavor. I hope everyone agrees it’s frighteningly good!” – R. L. Stine
- Geronimo Stilton & The Frosted Frozen Feast (Geronimo Stilton by Elisabetta Dami)
- Salted caramel is paired with parmesan-steeped cream, made rich with mascarpone cheesecake and crumbles of buttery cracker crust for the most marve-mousely magnificent ice cream.
- Smile: Words & Pictures (Smile by Raina Telgemeier)
- Pencil-inspired yellow and pink almond-infused sponge cake and Stracciatella “pencil shavings” are strewn about a notebook paper-esque canvas, in this case trusty vanilla ice cream. Draw your spoons and scoop your own flavor story!
- Amulet: Fruit of the Gadoba Tree (Amulet by Kazu Kibuishi)
- Otherworldly flavors of cacao nibs are steeped in sweet cream, featuring dollops of the Salt & Straw kitchen’s real-life concoction of the mysterious, juicy “Gadoba” fruit.
- Twins: Pear w/ Twinnamon Swirl (Twins by Varian Johnson and Shannon Wright)
- Pairing up a dynamic combination of two decidedly unique flavors, whips of house made cinnamon-laced cream cheese meets sweet and fragrant pear ice cream.
YOUR OWN SWEET STORY
Despite COVID-19 disrupting the cherished Student Inventors series, Salt & Straw is offering a twist by giving all Rad Readers a chance to create their own flavor with the Fiction to Flavor Contest. Students are encouraged to share their own short story and book cover design. One lucky entrant will be selected to work with Tyler Malek to bring their flavor to life. Two runner-ups will receive prizes of ice cream and gift cards to bookshop.org. Entry forms can be found and submitted at www.saltandstraw.com.