If you’re considering orthodontic treatment to improve your smile, then you probably already know that Invisalign is one of the most popular treatments out there today. Invisalign allows your teeth to quite effortlessly move into a new position, resulting in a smile that you’ll be proud of and love to show off. The great part about Invisalign is that it offers the freedom and flexibility of removable aligners while creating a beautiful smile. But what does this mean for teens? Actually, quite a lot! Invisalign is becoming a more and more common treatment modality for teenagers today and especially so in my practice. Here are just a few of the reasons why:
- Esthetics: One of the greatest advantages that Invisalign offers is the esthetic freedom from traditional, fixed braces that are attached to the teeth, which can be especially important for teens. Invisalign’s clear aligners are barely detectable, which can save teens from some of the self-esteem issues that may come along with traditional braces. While fixing a crooked smile isn’t something that anyone should be ashamed of, many teens do feel insecurities about having traditional metal braces. And research has shown that teens are much less likely to be teased during Invisalign treatment as compared with braces, and in fact are more likely to experience a boost in self-esteem!
- Better Lifestyle Fit: Most teens today are so busy focusing on school, homework, sports, and other activities. Invisalign offers fewer lifestyle interruptions for your teen than traditional fixed braces. This is because Invisalign is 100% removable, which allows for a lot less upkeep than braces do. Invisalign also requires less maintenance when it comes to orthodontic check-ups. Typically, your teen will receive a few month’s worth of aligners during an office visit. They have set timelines on when to switch one pair of aligners out for another. Because of this, office visits usually only consist of a quick check-up to make sure things are on track. With traditional braces, each check-up can require more lengthy office visits due to the necessary adjustments to braces themselves. Because Invisalign has no fixed parts on the teeth, it can also save teens from having to worry about broken parts, such as wires or brackets, during treatment. Each such breakage can require an emergency appointment, and a lengthy fix.
- Comfort: Invisalign is hands-down a more comfortable treatment option than traditional braces. The traditional brackets and wires of braces can take some time for the mouth to get accustomed to, and can also cause significantly more irritation to the inside of the mouth than the clear plastic of the Invisalign aligners. Gone are the days of orthodontic wax when Invisalign aligners are the treatment of choice! Invisalign also allows for more comfortable eating. As we know, teens eat A LOT, and since Invisalign is removable it allows for the freedom of an unrestricted diet. Hence teens can eat all of the crunchy and sticky foods they want during Invisalign treatment that would otherwise be prohibited with braces.
- Hygiene: Another benefit to the removable aspect of Invisalign aligners is the ease of oral hygiene. Brushing and flossing is unobstructed with Invisalign as the aligners are removed for brushing. Hence the oral hygiene routine is a lot easier and quicker than with braces, which is once again so beneficial for today’s busy teens. Also, the chance of post orthodontic staining from poor oral hygiene is drastically decreased with Invisalign aligners.
- Similar Cost: It’s pretty obvious that Invisalign offers some incredible features & benefits when it comes to orthodontic treatment, so many people are under the impression that the price is significantly higher. But contrary to popular belief, Invisalign treatment actually typically costs the same as traditional treatment with braces. On average, Invisalign is on par financially with traditional fixed braces. And in fact, dental insurance plans that offer an orthodontic benefit will also cover Invisalign treatment.
With all the clear (no pun intended!) advantages to Invisalign treatment, it’s certainly worth strongly considering for your teen, and definitely worth having a conversation with your teen about.
At Pinecrest Orthodontics we want the best for your teen and welcome any questions you have about Invisalign treatment. Contact our office for more information or to schedule a complimentary initial consultation!
Pinecrest Orthodontics is located in the Dixie Belle Shops at 12197 S. Dixie Highway Pinecrest, FL 33156. 305-423-4130. www.pinecrestortho.com