Miami Dade College’s (MDC) award-winning newspaper The Reporter has been named the top college student newspaper in Florida for the eighth year in a row at the recent Florida College System Publications Association (FCSPA) conference and awards banquet in Tampa.
The biweekly’s staff placed in 17 of 19 individual categories including ten first-place awards. The competition was based on newspapers printed during the 2017-18 school year. The Reporter accumulated 38 overall points.
Aside from placing first overall in general excellence, the newspaper was awarded individual top honors for Arts Review, Feature Photo, Picture Story, Humor Column, Sports Column, General Column, Illustration, Comic Strip, Design and Website. In addition, two Reporter students—Katherine Wallace-Fernandez and Sebastián Ballestas—won inner circle awards for placing top three in three different categories.
“Every year, The Reporter jumpstarts the career of young journalists who work day and night to inform the college community,” said Katherine Wallace-Fernandez, who served as editor-in-chief of The Reporter in 2018. “Winning top state college paper is proof of our staff’s hard work.”
The Reporter features 16 pages, prints on a biweekly schedule, has a circulation of 10,250 per print cycle and is supplemented by a website with video and audio content. It is distributed at all eight MDC campuses and has newsrooms at the North, Wolfson and Kendall campuses. In the past eight years, the paper has won 117 awards from the FCSPA including 68 first-place honors.
At FCSPA’s award ceremony, Axis Creative Arts Magazine, Volume 15, dominated the 2018 competition among literary college publications in the B Division, winning General Excellence First Place. Axis also won a Pacemaker from the Associated Collegiate Press, a First Place Pinnacle Award from College Media Association, an Inner Circle Award (conferred to student Jerel Ramsey) and a Gold Crown Awards from Columbia Scholastic Press, making it the magazine’s most award-winning issue to date. Axis is published once a year during the spring semester and released the following fall, free of charge.
Below a list of the individual awards received by The Reporter and Axis:
- Ciro Salcedo, Arts Review
- Sebastián Ballestas, Feature Photo
- Omar Negrin, Sebastián Ballestas and John Penagos, Picture Story
- Justin Marcano, Humor Column
- Giovanni Del Fa, Sports Column
- Teresa Schuster, General Column
- Aminah Brown, Illustration
- Melanie Castro, Comic Strip
- Tetyana Shumkova and Agustin Toriz, Design
- Staff, Website
- Corbin Bolies, Editorial
- Katherine Wallace-Fernandez, Headlines
- Omar Negrin, Sports Photo
- Sebastián Ballestas, News Photos
- Katherine Wallace-Fernandez, In-Depth Reporting
- Katherine Wallace-Fernandez, Feature Story
- Darian Vega, Sports Writing
- Maria Jose Grogg, Joshua Buron and Momo Manalang, Poetry
- Pedro Lazaro, Quentin Gibson-Mays and Rafael Lucas, Art Works
- Jerel Ramsey, Contents Page
- Jerel Ramsey, Roderique Julien, Cover
- Jerel Ramsey, Amaris Quintero, Miguel Cardenas and Savanah Sanchez, Design
- Jerel Ramsey, Two-Page Spread Design
- Roderique Julien, Photo
For more information, please contact The Reporter’s advisor Manolo Barco at 305-237-1255, firstname.lastname@example.org. For Axis Magazine, contact Carmen Bucher at email@example.com; Kathleen Noonan, firstname.lastname@example.org.