Are you toxic? It’s hard not to be in a world filled with pollution along with food toxins such as dyes, fillers, additives and preservatives. Toxins can adversely affect us from brain to toe, damaging our cells, creating numerous health problems and accelerating aging. But one good way to rid the body of toxins is with nutrient-charged soups, says Cherie Calbom (juiceladycherie.com), a best-selling author and nutritionist whose latest book, Souping is the New Juicing, includes a toxicity quiz. “Soup can be a part of any detox program,” Calbom says. “What if you never changed the oil or filters in your car? Our bodies are a bit like our cars. They have filter systems that need to be cleaned out and fluids that need to be flushed out. That’s where souping comes in, offering an abundance of antioxidants, phytonutrients, vitamins and minerals. Detoxing the body, Calbom says, has the dual effect of healing and helping weight loss. Here are two recipes she suggests:
Color Me Green
Research shows that the isothiocyanates from kale help regulate detox activities.
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- 1 cup broccoli, chopped
- 1-1½ cups spinach
- 1 cup kale, chopped
- 1 can cannellini or great northern beans, drained
- 2 tsp. fresh turmeric, chopped or 1 tsp. dried turmeric
- ¼ cup lemon juice (11/2 lemons, juiced)
- 1 large bunch of cilantro, chopped
- 1 tbsp. all-purpose seasoning
- 1 bouillon cube
- 3½ cups of water
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
On medium heat sauté garlic with olive oil and salt. Add chopped broccoli and stir for five minutes. Stir in spinach until the leaves are wilted, then add the rest of the ingredients. Stir and simmer for 15 minutes on low to medium heat.
Liver-Cleansing Raw Beet Soup
Beets are known to cleanse and support the liver.
- 1 medium raw beet, scrubbed and cut into chunks
- ½ ripe avocado, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1/4 small onion, finely chopped
- 2–3 fresh dill sprigs
- ¼ cup fresh parsley
- 1 tsp. raw apple cider
- 1 tsp. coconut aminos or tamari
- 1 cup purified water
- 2–3 Tbsp. lime juice (1 lime)
- ¼ tsp. sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
Blend all ingredients until smooth and enjoy! Serves 1.